Thursday, June 16, 2011

Śrī Rādhā-kuṇḍa

This morning I reached for the Sri Radha Kunda mati instead of the gopi-chandan to put on my tilak. It wasn't a conscious decision, really; usually, I just grab whatever is available in the morning, usually its still dark. Today, as I picked up the chunk of Sri Radha Kunda, I began thinking about how fortunate I am to have bathed in the sacred pond, apply the mud on my body and even, though fleetingly, remember that abode, form, pastimes and wonderfulbhagavats that serve and worship there. I want to share this particular verse from Sri Upadeshamrita; although my meditation is weak and fleeting, maybe by reciting this verse and remembering the glories of Sri Radha Kunda, one day I will be able to fully immerse my mind, body and soul in service and meditation upon that nectar-ocean.



The holy place known as Mathurā is spiritually superior to Vaikuṇṭha, the transcendental world, because the Lord appeared there. Superior to Mathurā-Purī is the transcendental forest of Vṛndāvana because of Kṛṣṇa's rāsa-līlā pastimes. And superior to the forest of Vṛndāvana is Govardhana Hill, for it was raised by the divine hand of Śrī Kṛṣṇa and was the site of His various loving pastimes. And, above all, the superexcellent Śrī Rādhā-kuṇḍa stands supreme, for it is overflooded with the ambrosial nectarean prema of the Lord of Gokula, Śrī Kṛṣṇa. Where, then, is that intelligent Person who is unwilling to serve this divine Rādhā-kuṇḍa, which is situated at the foot of Govardhana Hill?


No comments: