Monday, September 16, 2013

Hell Yeah!

Lately, it has been my objective to express myself with a clear, strong, and confident voice. You can take that literally or figuratively, but chances are I'm on it.
A couple of years ago I made a goal to study music and practice my instruments: violin, harmonium, mridanga, and voice. Music became my sadhana, it was my yogic practice and breathing exercise combined. I prayed and offered respect to Goddess Saraswati, Lord Balaram, and my instruments for blessings. I sought out teachers, masters, and friends to guide and support me.
Voice, however, is the hardest instrument for me to have a command over. Even though I've been told I have a good voice, I've always enjoyed humming privately, and I wake up early in the morning to practice my scales, I still hesitate when it comes to singing in public.
This semester I registered for a sight singing and ear training class to change all of that. Suddenly, I am expected to sing in front of my peers and do it well. For good measure, I throw in some confidence with a dash of self-deprecating humour. My classmates are a load of laughs, incredibly talented, and down-to-earth folk. I don't think I could have happened upon better practice buddies.
I'm really thankful for this class.
I'm thankful that Lord Balaram guided me down this path.
I'm thankful to Goddess Saraswati who has shown me great favour.
There are a lot of things that suddenly make sense about me, realizations about my inner self, mind, and soul that are powerfully illuminating.
Love, anger, lust, and ego all make sense, but most of all my life path makes sense.
Recently a friend and mentor asked me, "Do you feel that your whole life has been leading up to this moment?"
You already know what I said.

No comments: