Thursday, July 12, 2012

Stress and Distress

In the past I've theorized that certain individuals can strive and even thrive under stress and distress, either by extreme conditioning or natural personality characteristics. Usually, these people are just born with a certain personality and so it is in their nature to be determined in stressful situations. I used to think that my ability to handle stress and pressure was simply a defense mechanism, a survival mechanism and trait I developed through constant training. I learned to tolerate and be flexible. I learned how to maintain focus and remain calm. I learned to resist panic under distress and danger.
The more I push myself, the more I realise what  I can handle and it surprises me every time. I have been making a conscious push toward sense control and tolerance (as you already know) these past several months. I realise that I simply enjoy the challenge of a harder task and sometimes I even thrive under pressure and distress. It's very difficult to control one's mind under normal conditions as Arjuna said to Lord Krishna, "I think controlling the mind is harder than controlling the wind!" but the Lord is merciful and empowering. 
I thank my most merciful Lord Balaram for endowing me with strength to persevere in adversity. Sometimes, I bite off more than I can chew, due to my false ego and obstinacy, and I refuse to give up or turn back. The task at hand may seem endless and nearly impossible, however, by surrendering to the will of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Halyudha Balaram, I find the strength and determination to scale mountainous tasks. Before submitting defeat, I always pray to the lotus feet of Sri Nityananda Svarup for spiritual fortitude and my Lord always obliges. Without Him, I am utterly lost. 

No comments: