Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Expecting Summer

Well, I have one more final exam left, but this semester is finally over. I'm really proud of myself; all my hard work has paid off with straight As. I'm looking forward to the fall, but for now I just want to take a break and spend time with my friends and family. I have a few sewing project ideas lined up, so stick around to see them. I'll post my travels, ideas, projects, and realizations here more frequently during summer.
Recently, I noticed more matajis wearing the Bengali style sari, and while I am somewhat flattered (I can only take credit, since, I'm the only one around here who wears it), but I'm also a little worried. Some matajis still don't have very good fashion sense, or lack a sense of appropriate colors. I blame viewing too many Bollywood films with over-saturated colors, or color shock. For example, I observed a Westerner who colored her hair jet black (I guess to appear more ethnic), but instead she looks old, unhealthy, and strange. On top of that, she wore dark or rich colors, which would be appropriate for a warm complexioned person, but simply exaggerated her unnatural hair color and darkened circles around her eyes. Of course, I am not sure if she is just tired, but darkening the hair will only worsen the appearance of wrinkles, dark circles, and pale skin. If you dye your hair, please make sure you dye it to your natural hair color (to cover gray), or stay within two shades of your natural shade. If you are not sure, visit a professional hair colorist. Similarly, when lightening the hair color, it is important to stay as close to the natural shade, or one will risk looking 'washed out'.
Honestly, the temple is not the appropriate venue for something like this, however, it is obvious to me that these women need serious help. I wish there was a place where these matajis could receive personalized styling and fashion advice from an expert. A visit with a professional stylist, colorist, or hairdresser could have easily averted such a horrible mistake from ever happening. On wearing appropriate color combinations, shades, and hues, a person will appear healthier, beautiful, and natural. Everyone has different combinations of hair, eyes, and skin, therefore, everyone has a different color palette combination. On another occasion, I saw a mataji wearing heavy makeup, combined with a shockingly unnatural hair color that was too red for her skin tone, and a poor choice of apparel for her figure. This made her look older, sickly, and frumpy. Whereas, if she had chosen more appropriate make up and apparel, she would have appeared more vibrant and attractive.
Naturally, all women want to look beautiful, and they go to great extents to look and feel more attractive. Unfortunately, due to ignorance, some matajis are enticed to mimic the unrefined and gaudy styles they see in trashy Hindi movies. I forewarn anyone from copying these styles, as they are mostly unchaste and inappropriate, and will typically not suit many complexions. Matajis that combine these poorly will end up looking older, unhealthy, strange, and in some cases, extremely unchaste. Sometimes I feel like saying something, especially if others are criticizing or mocking them. However, I'm just not sure how to tactfully mention something like this without hurting anyone's feelings. Truly, these women need help. Most of the time, I see them trying colors which are not suitable to their complexion but  I have seen less obvious mistakes like combining apparel which is not suitable to the body type, personality, or appropriate for temple festivals, as well.

No comments: