Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pride

I wanted to talk about something that happened to me when I was about six years old that has stuck with me after all these years. It was a hell of a hot and dry summer day as I was walking to the corner store, I was kicking the pebbles and stones across my dusty path when I happened by an older gentleman who stopped me and asked why I was looking so glum. He said, "Why you walking with your head looking down, why have you got a frown on that pretty face?" I stood there motionless and speechless, the man was incredibly insightful I felt, for no one else had bothered to look within my physical language to read my mind. I was feeling down about myself and just depressed. Then he offered me advice that I was too young and foolish to understand and accept, he said gently, "Hold your head up high and show the world your face, never look down to the ground. Smile and be proud of who you are." I guess I never really understood that message until recently, so I wanted to share with others. I want to tell everyone to be proud of who you are, and remember that your circumstances, your environment, surroundings etc, do not limit or define who you are. It doesn't matter if you're a little Chicana girl from Bonton or whatever, just know that you are a beautiful spirit soul, eternal, blissful and full of divine knowledge... Let everyone know how special they truly are and be grateful for them, just think how fortunate you are for having them in your life!

No comments: